6.12.2012

{DIY} White Grommet Drapes

Hey guys!  I'm excited to share my latest house project with ya'll.  Last week I purchased some white drapes from Ikea.  They are the "Lenda" style, and two white panels cost $19.99...pretty good deal!  They also came with a hem strip, so no sewing was required to hem them to the right length.  The cotton fabric is pretty heavy, and they are great quality for this price.  I brought them home, but didn't love them once they were up.  I wasn't a big fan of how the loops looked, so I brainstormed to see how I could  achieve a more high end look without the hefty price tag.

Here's the before:



 I had always envisioned grommet drapes like these from Pottery Barn, but we need alot of drapes for our house, and I didn't want to spend tons of money....So I got a little creative.  I started searching for grommet info/diy tips, and came across this brand of grommets.  I purchased mine at Joann's for $12.99.  No kit was required for these either which was nice!


They came in packages of 8, so I bought two for both of the panels.  Included was a circle stencil, that I traced under the existing loops.  I cut out the fabric in the middle of my traced circle (This does not have to be perfect, because the grommets hide the inside of your circle).  


Then I just cut the loops off (very professional, I know!), and snapped the grommets into place.  This part was time consuming, because the fabric was thicker in some places, so they were a little hard to snap.  I had to make sure to remove any excess fabric from where the loops were sewn in, in order to snap the grommets closed.  But, it was SO worth it.


Here's the finished product!






Here they are side by side for comparison...




I am so happy with how they turned out.  It's amazing how grommets can completely change the look of a simple white drape!  I love how small changes can have such a big impact on your room.  I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial, and thanks for reading along.  Happy Tuesday!



18 comments:

  1. Wow! Such a great transformation! It's amazing what a little DIY project can do for looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these seriously look beautiful! I am bookmarking this so I can attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip. The drapes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted this! I never would have thought that the two drapes would have made such a huge difference! And I thought I really loved the loops, but now seeing them both up, I can honestly say that I like the grommet ones way better! And I have some drapes that I could totally do this with... I might have to make a little trip to Joann's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Amy! Laurie D here.... love your blog, love the drapes, and of course, love you! :-) So, what's the color of your walls in the pics? Thinking of doing some living room/dining room painting and need some color inspiration.
    Blessings to you in your darling new house!
    Laurie D

    ReplyDelete
  7. darling!! i think i need to put grommets on something now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - so impressed! I never knew someone could add those on their own! I am adding this to my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness these are just lovely! So fresh and pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! The transformation from tab to grommet really makes a huge difference. I love Ikea drapes, especially if you're purchasing a whole house full, you can't beat them, but the grommets really dress them up a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic! I did not know they sold those kits, so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I have those curtains and may have to do this to mine. Do you think it would be a little easier to snap the grommet in the area betweem each tab since there would be less fabric? I get so many compliments on those curtains. Mine are beige with a thin raised stripe in the same color every 6 inces or so and the weight of the fabric is really nice. Great deal at $24 per pair (mine are 112 inches)

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks great! my mom did a similar thing with making a shower curtain for our bathroom, but i've never done it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a big difference! I love how you transformed your drapery panels into pleated drapes. They sure have a high end look. I am so glad you posted this tip. I've always thought I would need a grommet machine for this DIY project and never realized it's actually this simple. I am definitely going to try this with my drapes this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your blog, and I am super impressed with the few posts I have read so far! This is an amazing project - what a difference! As soon as I saw it, I started looking around to see which of my Ikea curtains I could do it to :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,

    Nice picture about Grommet Drapes. Drapes made with grommets have a contemporary look and are easy to open and close. Grommets are metal rings that surround a hole and reinforce the fabric. They can be attached by hand, or with a special tool kit that's available at most hardware and craft stores. Thank you....

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thanks so much for stopping by!